Classes & InstructorsEdit
- Oakland Park & Rec Boating - Oakland - Age: All Ages - Kayacking, sailing, tall ship sails, dragonboating, whaleboat rowing. Private/Group lessons, youth camps
- Waterside Workshops - Berkeley
- Intership - 16-18yrs of age. Youth will work along side of one of our skilled boat shop instructors in an apprenticeship-style setting. Working in a small boat shop helps youth to quickly develop vocational skills in the areas of woodworking and construction, while providing a real-world application for product design, physics, and geometry. Apprentices are given the opportunity to tour local woodworking shops as well as the Civil Engineering/ Naval Architecture department at UC Berkeley.
- Wooden Boat Construction and Repair Classes - Age: roughly 10 to 18 years of age - Beginners are scheduled in small classes, 1 or 2 days per week depending on interest. Students will learn proper use and care of woodworking tools to construct and repair wooden boats that will be used at the Berkeley Aquatic Park. Class fees are on a sliding scale.
Jack London Aquatic Center - Oakland - Boat Rentals
- Outward Bound - Various Locations - Age: Teens - Boat Trips - kayacking, saling, rafting, and canoeing
East Bay Regional Parks Boating/Kayaking/Sailing - East Bay Regional Parks - Age: All Ages. There are several boating opportunities at Regional Park lakes and along bay shoreline areas. You can launch your own boat at Lake Del Valle, Contra Loma, Martin Luther King, Jr. Shoreline, Quarry Lakes, and Shadow Cliffs. You can rent canoes, electric-motored boats, or rowboats at Lake Chabot, Shadow Cliffs, and Del Valle. You can also launch your own canoe/kayak/skull at Lake Chabot.
Free Play IdeasEdit
Guides & Maps & BooksEdit
- Richmond Sea Scouts - Richmond - Age: male youth from ages 13 - 18 - Northland Nautical Foundation - They meet for training and planning, Tuesday nights from 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. at our base in the Port of Richmond, CA., near the Red Oak Victory museum ship. We also meet Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the S.S.S. Northland near our base in dock 3 in the Port of Richmond, CA.
- Oakland Youth Rowing (Middle and High School rowing programs open to everyone)
- Berkeley High Crew (Berkeley High School Crew Team)
- O’Kalani Outrigger Canoe Club